Morning Breakfast With the Word 11TH MAY 2020
One of the greatest challenges Christians face is living according to God’s commandments in a world already affected by so many external factors. There is always the hunger to follow God’s word but man sometimes finds it very difficult to do. Yet this is the only way to prove our love to Jesus. If we keep his word:
1. It is the only way to to show how much we truly love Jesus. In the gospel Jesus says,’ “They who have my commandments and keep them are those who love me”. We do it because it came from Him and would not want Him to be angry. We try to make our parents happy not that we are always free to do whatever they say but because we want to show them how much we love to see them happy. Let us do the same for God.
2. It is the easiest way to win the heart of Jesus and the Father. Jesus says in the gospel whoever keeps my word loves me, and whoever loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love them.
3. It is another way to have an encounter. In the gospel He says I will reveal myself to them.
4. We become the abode of the Trinity. When Judas asked him, ‘Lord, how is it that you will reveal yourself to us, and not to the world?’ Jesus answered him, ‘Those who love me will keep my word, and my Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. Keeping His Word, being faithful to Him is a way to invite God into our lives.
5. It is sign of total obedience to Father. Jesus says :the word that you hear is not mine, but is from the Father”. To keep the Word is to obey the Father. Let us not joke with the Word for the Word is not ours but God’s. But man abandons God’s word, He does not have hunger for it, He prefers that of the World than God, yet man claims He loves God.
6. It is the only way to glorify God. If we love Jesus Christ, the highest good we seek for Him is to glorify Him. Jesus glorified the Father by obeying all that the Father commanded, to obey Jesus is to glorify God. When we sin, we dishonor Him (make Him look bad).
When We Do not love God
Today Jesus says “Whoever does not love me, does not keep my words. This becomes evident when we become tired of the Word. This is when we prefer the world than God, when we prefer worldly demands and desires than Godly demands
1 John 2:15 says Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. James 4:4 warns You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. God help us.
In fact the key that keeps obedience from becoming legalistic is to love Jesus Christ. He hammers on this: John 14:15: “If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.” John 14:21: “He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; …” John 14:23: “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; …” John 14:24: “He who does not love Me does not keep My words; …” Love for Christ motivates us to obey Him.
The Holy Spirit is the Helper
Jesus just promised the disciples that the Helper, the Holy Spirit, would soon be in them forever (John 14:16-17). Paul makes it clear (Gal. 5:16-23) that the way not to carry out the desires of the flesh but rather to develop the fruit of the Spirit is to walk in dependence on the Spirit.
May God bless us with His Divine Spirit that we will find joy keeping His Words. May He continues to protect you from danger Amen
*Fr. Sanctus Mario*