Indeed the Holy Mother Church is blessed. For one week now, I have taken time to research more on the history and beautiful nature of the Holy Mother Church. What I have discovered within these few days baffles me.
I have written about the saints that bore the stigmata of Our Lord Jesus Christ. Then I wrote about the encounter between a pious priest Peter of Prague. Today I will bring you the list of saints who lived only on the Holy Eucharist before their death.
Many saints decided to live only on the Holy Eucharist, few years before their death.
It truly sustained them until the hour of their death. Among these saints who lived solely on the Eucharist before their death are:
Saint Angela of Foligno was born in 1248. She was born in a wealthy family in Foligno, which is three leagues from Assisi. Saint Angela of Foligno is one of those saints who lived solely on the Eucharist before their death.
She lived a holy life after living a life she considered sinful in most of her writings. Twelve years before her death, she lived only on the Holy Communion until she breathed her last. She died on January 4, 1310.
2.Saint Catherine of Siena: Saint Catherine of Siena is well known. She is popular when it comes to saints who lived solely on the Holy Eucharist.
Saint Catherine of Siena lived solely on the Eucharist for twenty-five years until her death. History has it that she began this when she was eight and feeds only on the Holy Eucharist. Saint Catherine did this until the day the saint died. She died at the age of thirty-three.
3. Saint Lidwina of Holland also spent the last part of her life feeding only on the body of the Lord. Nineteen years before her death, she stopped feeding on anything except receiving Holy Communion every day. She spent the nineteen years of the end of her life only on the Holy Eucharist. She died in the year 1433.
4. Saint Nicholas of Flue: This is one of the saints who lived solely on the Eucharist before their death. Saint Nicholas stopped feeding on anything except the Holy Eucharist for over twenty years, and at a time, he stopped drinking absolutely nothing except the body and blood of Christ for over a month. He died in the year 1487.
5. St Joseph of Cupertino: Saint Joseph of Cupertino spent five years eating nothing and went fifteen years drinking nothing but sustained only through the Holy Eucharist for many years. He died in the year 1663. God blesses Saint Joseph of Cupertino with numerous gifts.
6. Anne Catherine Emmerich: Anne Catherine Emmerich lived twelve years solely on the Holy Eucharist. She died in the year 1824.
7. Alexandrina Da Costa also lived three years solely on the Eucharist. She died in 1955.
8. Therese Neumann: Therese Neumann took no food or water except on the Holy Eucharist from 1926 to 1962. Near the end of her life, she would feel herself dying until she received the Eucharist again.
The saints who lived solely on the Holy Eucharist before their death show us that something mysterious is behind the Holy Eucharist.
The Eucharist is truly the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ. The mystery behind the Holy Eucharist is beyond comprehension. Let us always receive the Lord with reverence and purity of the heart.