I am sorry, is a statement we normally use to apologise to some people. We use these words when we feel we have hurt or offended them. When someone says I am sorry, it indicates that there was a previous misunderstanding or altercation between two parties. Sometimes this statement seems very hard to say because either party feel it is so downgrading to utter it. Many do not use it because, for them, it lowers their self-esteem. These three words are very simple and sometimes highly neglected. But these words are so powerful that they can mend some broken relationships and restore broken homes.
It is normal that at some point in time, problems, misunderstandings, betrayals, hurts, quarreling, and other forms of disintegration may creep in among families members, husband and wife, two lovely and close friends, classmates etc. It is normal that among two parties that have been together for a while, there will always be a time when misunderstanding will come into their relationship. This problem if not handled properly at the initial stage will always begin to generate more problems and escalate.
1.Sometimes the reason we have many family divisions and relationship problems is our inability to handle the problems at the initial stage. When these problems start, many will concentrate on recounting how the other person has hurt him or her. The two parties instead of reconciling among themselves and seeking peace, they tend to open wounds upon wounds to the extent, healing the problem becomes problematic. Many times, most of the cases that have lasted for several years would have been solved by that little statement “I am sorry”.
2. These words are highly disregarded today, but it can save a lot of crises. It can bring peace back into a family. The problem is that many choose to feed their ego than wanting peace. While in some, uttering the word I am sorry seems very hard to do. When some try to do it, they do it for the sake of doing it and go back to square one.
3. When we willingly and sincerely apologise for the wrong things we have done, it will go a long way to save a lot. Inability to do this has truly led many to lose some golden opportunities in life. When families, husband and wife or close friends begin to have misunderstandings, the statement “I am sorry” can be a mighty weapon to settle their differences.
4. To say I am sorry looks degrading but it can bring back a broken relationship. It can save a lot of crises. When one says; I am sorry, it shows that one has chosen the way of peace and reconciliation than the way of division and disunity. To say I am sorry should be a watchword for every Christian. After Peter denied the Lord, he went out and wept bitterly (Luke 22:54-62) and in all the appearances of Jesus after the resurrection, not in anyone did he remind anyone of them to Peter. Asking someone to forgive me is a sign of remorse of what happened in the past. It hence prepares for the future.
5. Relationship problems, crisis, conflicts, family misunderstanding can be resolved and reestablished with the word I am sorry. It eases tensions and brings people who have been in enmity back to unity again.
6. When someone becomes so angry at what you did, apologising sincerely and immediately can go a long way to bring life to the person again. Many today find these words hard to say. We are only busy recounting the mistakes and hurts of the past. The more we do this, the more we find it hard to let go and hence creating more problems.
7. To say I am sorry when something goes wrong may make the other person overlook your mistakes. It will even make him see you in a different light for the fact you decide never to do it again. We do not apologise to go back to what we did. We apologise to bring that peace that was once lost in a relationship back. It can bring back the trust and understanding you once had among yourselves.
8. To say I am sorry is a simple word but a very powerful statement. It is simple but mighty. Let us stop neglecting these three words. Some people think that if they apologise, it will look as if they are the ones responsible for the conflict. May be this would make the other party see it that they are innocent. For me, this might be true to an extent. But what happens with this statement is that it will open a line of communication between the two parties to have time to discuss a way forward. It will help them to mend their past mistakes.
9. It is good to start somewhere. If you have a broken relationship, saying the word I am sorry maybe the only thing you need to begin again.
A sincere apology to our wrongdoings and mistakes can relieve tensions and give hope for rebuilding the relationship again. Are you willing to try the words today?