Breakfast With the Word Tuesday 13th Week Ordinary Time
When the Storm rages
A storm is a natural disaster that is highly destructive. It is a violent disturbance of the atmosphere with strong winds and usually rain, thunder and lightning. The experience of a storm is highly frightening and terrifying. Imagine what the disciples of Jesus experienced that made them to shout:
1. They were in the middle of the sea. Something could happen at any time, the only safety they had is the boat. Which might not be sophisticated like the ones we have today. It simply means that their lives are extremely in danger. Let us always know that problems can come at any time and can be highly terrifying.
2. Secondly, Jesus their master was sleeping. He could be their only source of hope and now He was sleeping. His silence brings more fear to them. There are times we also feel like God is keeping silent and sleeping when we suffer.
3. The storm was highly terrifying, they didn’t know what to do. The only option left might be to give in their lives. There are moments also we feel like ending our lives because of what have befallen us.
These are times, when we find ourselves in terrifying and challenging experiences. Sometimes we do not know what to do, they only option might be to do something funny. Sometimes it looks as if God is so silent on us and sleeping. Sometimes at this point many begins to question if God is real and we become confused on what to do.
What can we do
1. As the storm rages, the disciples went and woke up their master shouting “Lord save us we are perishing ” a way of presenting to Jesus the situation at hand. And Jesus calmed the storm. Who do we call on to save us? Who do you approach? How many shrines have you visited in the bid to solve your problem? The apostles despite their weak faith called on Jesus to save them and He did. Let us also continue to call on Him.
2. Jesus questioned their faith. This indicates that they should not be afraid either because Jesus is with them already. An implication that our effort in life should be to be very close to Him. So as the storm rages, we become so strong in His ever abiding presence.
3. It also indicates that as the storm rages, in the midst of challenges and troubles, what we need is not fear. The only weapon needed in the midst of challenges is faith and nothing more. But today when challenges come we lose the weapon even and forget God entirely. Never give up on God, rather hold on to Him. Only He has the power over every situation.
May God help us dearest and give you the grace to achieve victory at last. Amen